[gst-devel] Win32/Perl Bindings/gstreamer-0.10.pc

Andoni Morales ylatuya at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 21:02:18 CET 2009

2009/12/13 Jeffrey Ray <jeffrey at jeffreyray.info>:
> I am running attempting to install the Perl bindings GStreamer on a windows machine (vista, with perl being the lastest version of camelbox). I get this message when I run perl makefile.pl.
>

> Package gstreamer-0.10 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
>>    Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gstreamer-0.10.pc'
>>      to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
>

> I have installed the GStreamer binaries (and the dev package) from this location:
>
> http://www.gstreamer-winbuild.ylatuya.es/doku.php?id=start
>
> It does not include the gstreamer-0.10.pc file.  How do I acquire/create this file? Am I going to have to build GStreamer myself? It is worth noting that the GStreamer binaries above are compiled with Microsoft tools and camelbox and the libraries included with it (gtk, glib, etc) are compiled with gcc? My gut tells me yes...

Hi,
In the beginning GStreamer Winbuilds was intended to be used with VS,
and for this reason we were only including the import libraries, but
we are working to improve the integration with mingw so other FFOS
projects can take benefit of it. The objective was to provide a simple
way for windows developers to work with GStreamer  without having to
worry about  all the external dependencies and be able to compile
GStreamer with a simple click, in the Windows way :p
Las week I was able to build all the gstreamer modules with mingw, but
if you only need to build the bindings without having to compile
everything you can just modify the pkgconfig files that comes in the
gstreamer sources[0] and changes the @prefix@, @libdir@, etc.. values
to your installation path (which should be c:\gstreamer,
c:\gstreamer\lib, etc..).
The current installer doesn't update the prefix of the pkgconfig files
and those files point to wrong dirs, but we have for that a set a
templates[1]. So you will need to replace @SHARED_BUILD_DIR@ with
c:\gstreamer with sed for example. Doing these steps you should be
able to build the bindings.
Regarding the compatibility between the GStreamer binaries built using
MSVC and other binaries built using GCC, you don't have to fear
anything. Even if the binaries are built using MSVC, they are linked
against the old crt, msvcrt.dll, and not the 9.0 crt, which is the one
used by mingw. In fact, all the external dependencies like glib,
pango, cairo, etc.. are built with gcc while the gstreamer binaries
are built with MSVC.
As I said we are working hard to do everything in the Linux way, and
in the next release we will try to include all the files needed to
build projects depending on GStreamer using mingw.
Cheers,
Andoni

[0]http://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gstreamer/tree/pkgconfig
[1]http://code.google.com/p/ossbuild/source/browse/trunk/Shared/Build/Windows/Win32/templates/