[gst-devel] Write an audio data stream to file with GStreamer

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Thu Dec 17 16:30:04 CET 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 15:03 +0100, Markus Luttenberger wrote:

Hi,

> I read through the GStreamer manual and searched in the internet but I
> don't really find a way to write an audio stream (bytes of audio data)
> to a file, preferably a wav file.
>
> I found a plugin called 'afsink' which seems to be able to write a wav
> file. But I don't know what my data source shall be. Is there a sort of
> buffer which I can hand over my data stream? Or can I directly feed the
> sink? I only found examples which read audio data from a file!
>
> Currently I'm using GStreamer 0.8.7 due restrictions. Please tell me if
> this version is too old for this kind of job.

GStreamer 0.8.7? From October 2004? Are you serious?

I'm fairly sure what you want to do is doable even with such an old
version. However, not only is that version more than five years old, but
we've also had a major API/ABI change since then, so don't be surprised
if no one remembers anything at all about 0.8.x.

If all you want to do is write raw audio PCM data to disk as a .wav
file, something like libsndfile might be a better fit. I wouldn't
recommend using an ancient and unsupported GStreamer version.

Cheers
 -Tim