[gst-devel] Limitations when programming on top of gst_parse_launch?

Francis Rammeloo francis.rammeloo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 13:29:51 CET 2009

I am developing a lecture-capture application using GStreamer. In the setup
multiple video streams (camera, screen capature, white board) arrive at one
PC where they are blended and recorded. This requires some complex pipelines
to be created, which would be a lot of work to implement using the C API.
Therefore I have all the pipelines in configuration files (using the
gst-launch syntax) and at runtime they are constructed using the
gst_parse_launch call.

My question is: is this a good approach? I ask because I get the impression
that gst-launch is mainly used for prototyping, while the serious work is
done in C code. Is it really so? Are there some fundamental limitations to
the gst_parse_launch approach that I should be aware of?

Many thanks,
Francis