[gst-devel] Parsing the header to detect audio/audio&video presence

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Thu Dec 31 22:02:11 CET 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-31 at 11:19 +0530, Jyoti wrote:

Hi,

> I have a requirement where I do need to list separately files which
> contain only audio data and both audio-video data.
>
> I did write an application to do typefinding and list the files.
> But the conflict is for files with container format as audio/x-m4a,
> and MPEG4
> which can have only audio or both audio and video content but the
> container format shown is common.
>
> The one method I tried is adding a demuxer element and looking for
> pad-added signal.
> But this method is consuming a bit of time if I have more files to be
> listed.
> So I want to know if there is any other way where I can get to know
> the audio video info.

There isn't, and it's not easy to fix this in 0.10 for reasons of
backwards compatibility. You are free to register your own typefinders,
however, that detect things in whatever way you like (that may solve the
problem for m4a/etc., but doesn't solve it for the general case - it's
e.g. entirely possible to have matroska files with just audio).

Cheers
 -Tim