[gst-devel] Required GLib version policy

Farkas Levente lfarkas at lfarkas.org
Thu Feb 19 17:51:39 CET 2009

Tim-Philipp Müller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think we should try to bump our GLib requirements more often. Slowly
> and conservatively, but regularly.
>
> To this effect I propose some sort of informal GLib version policy,
> something like:
>
>  - whenever we release core/base, we look into
>    bumping the GLib requirement for core/base
>    (ie. right *after* the core/base release, not
>    for the release itself)
>
>  - we then look at all (stable) GLib 2.N.1 releases
>    that are older than ~12 months, and pick the
>    highest N. That's our new GLIB_REQ then.
>
> The overall effect would be that when we release the next core/base the
> required GLib version would be at least around 15-18 months old, which
> seems fair to me (and what I think emerged as acceptable consensus the
> last time we debated this issue on the mailing list).
>
> So:
>
>  - GLib 2.N.1 would be at least 12 months old
>    *when we bump the requirement* (at this point
>    only affecting GStreamer hackers)
>
>  - a core/base with this new requirement would
>    be done ca. 3 months later, so at the time
>    this new requirement hits GStreamer consumers
>    and distributors the GLib version required
>    would be at least 15 months old
>
>  - any GLib 2.N.x series will typically be
>    maintained and in use for 6-9 months (random
>    info on the side)
>
> Thoughts? Sound good?

why would you like to bump requirements version when even an older glib
can work properly? most enterprise distro has very old (in this sense)
glib, but gstreamer can work even with that version. eg rhel/centos-5
has only glib2-2.12.3. even with that version all of the latest
gstreamer can work. but if you bump version (without any good reason)
we've to hack the tarball to be able to compile the latest versions on
enterprise distros.
so i vote against it.