[gst-devel] Required GLib version policy

Ole André Vadla Ravnås ole.andre.ravnas at tandberg.com
Wed Feb 25 13:25:36 CET 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 16:36 +0000, Tim-Philipp Müller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think we should try to bump our GLib requirements more often. Slowly
> and conservatively, but regularly.
(...)
> Thoughts? Sound good?

+1

Concerns regarding Enterprise distros have been raised, and IMHO if they
want to update GStreamer I can't see any reason why they cannot update
GLib too. After all it's ABI compatible, so they won't have to update
any other packages depending on GLib.

I'd say that the advantages of requiring a fairly recent version of GLib
by far outweigh the disadvantages. Think added maintenance burden
slowing down development, potential bugs and security issues in
duplicated code, noise from users hitting MT issues caused by outdated
GLib versions, etc.

Cheers,
Ole André