[gst-devel] [RFC] DNS and new mailing lists

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 21:26:25 CET 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 14:50 -0500, Donny Viszneki wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 6:34 AM, Edward Hervey <bilboed at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  * gstreamer-{commits|devel|security|announce}@lists.freedesktop.org
> >
> >  OR
> >
> >  * {commits|devel|security|announce}@lists.gstreamer.org
>
> Whichever domain name you wish to use, I would recommend keeping the
> "gstreamer-" prepended to the beginning because some mail software
> still use the email address instead of the Full-Name SMTP header.
> *Some* mail software even likes to only use the part of the address
> before the '@' sign.

  Err... they should *actually* be using the "List-id" header. I'm sorry
to say... but I'd consider that argument as not one. This is the 21st
century, if you're still using a mail reader that doesn't support
filtering on mail headers...
  And here I was thinking dropping the "[gst-devel]" subject prefix
would cause an outrage... Oh wait, is it the first time I mention
this ? :)

> The domain name I would recommend using is lists.gstreamer.org in case
> -- one day far far away from now -- gstreamer switches to another
> mailing list provider that is not the wonderful freedesktop people. It
> would make the transition more seamless because you can take the
> gstreamer.org domain name with you.

  That's a rather strong argument I'd say.

   Edward