[gst-devel] New GStreamer binaries for Windows based on OAbuild.

Ole André Vadla Ravnås oleavr at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 17:14:24 CET 2009

(Sorry for spamming the list with an empty reply before sending this one,
I was fighting with a brain-dead e-mail client to get the quoting right and
ended up hitting the wrong hotkey.)

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 2:31 PM, Andoni Morales <ylatuya at gmail.com> wrote:
>   We're about to switch the whole of GStreamer to git soon, I think it
>>
>> would be nice if we could centralize OABuild alongside GStreamer in the
>> same repositories. We already have a jhbuild module there.
>>
>>   Tell us if you're interested, and other GStreamer hackers/devs can
>> also raise their voice if they're against/for that idea,
>
> I think it's a good idea to centralize OABuild along GStreamer in the same
> repository. The problem is that the OABuild "method" requires changes in the
> code of some plugins. A posible solution  is to use preprocesor directives
> as these changes just affect to 3 or 4 plugins.
> Besides this methods requires external depencies (GLib, xvid, x264, oil,
> etc..), that cannot be complied with Visual Studio and must me complied with
> mingw/msys.  This is not a big problem as they can be added in the OAbuild
> module.

I would vote against pushing the project files upstream as OABuild's basic
design is broken (see below). As of recently, pending announcement today
actually :), OABuild is officially dead and no longer maintained by me.

Its replacement is OAHBuild, which is OABuild completely redone from scratch
by Haakon Sporsheim.

Some of its advantages:
- Isn't monolithic like OABuild, so the different modules are independent in the
  sense that you no longer need them placed in a certain layout in the
filesystem.
  In other words you can choose to install GLib and GStreamer -core from MSIs,
  and build /only/ -bad yourself if you're fixing bugs in a plugin,
you don't need to
  build any of the dependencies. This also means that the project files are
  completely local to the module and can thus be pushed upstream. The only
  dependency if you want to build things yourself is the common OAH component.
- Integrates with, and makes heavy use of, pkg-config.
- Integrated easy way of building .msm packages.
- Designed to work with the Express Edition of MSVS 2008, the commercial
  version is no longer a requirement to build it using the IDE.
- Cleaner, less project files.

OAHBuild can be found here:
https://code.launchpad.net/oah

The existing GStreamer modules in OABuild aren't yet forward-ported to OAH, but
this is work in progress.

Cheers,
Ole André