[gst-devel] New GStreamer binaries for Windows based on OAbuild.

Haakon Sporsheim haakon.sporsheim at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 09:24:20 CET 2009

> Its replacement is OAHBuild, which is OABuild completely redone from
> scratch
> by Haakon Sporsheim.
>
> Some of its advantages:
> - Isn't monolithic like OABuild, so the different modules are independent
> in the
>  sense that you no longer need them placed in a certain layout in the
> filesystem.
>  In other words you can choose to install GLib and GStreamer -core from
> MSIs,
>  and build /only/ -bad yourself if you're fixing bugs in a plugin,
> you don't need to
>  build any of the dependencies. This also means that the project files are
>  completely local to the module and can thus be pushed upstream. The only
>  dependency if you want to build things yourself is the common OAH
> component.
> - Integrates with, and makes heavy use of, pkg-config.
> - Integrated easy way of building .msm packages.
> - Designed to work with the Express Edition of MSVS 2008, the commercial
>  version is no longer a requirement to build it using the IDE.
> - Cleaner, less project files.

I would also like to point out (once again) that OAH uses pkg-config for
compiler and linker switches instead of project dependencies/references in
Visual Studio. Hence, there is no monolitic "master" build/solution file,
but separate build/solution file for each module which could reside in each
respective module repository. For GStreamer this would be (to follow the OAH
convention) in win32/oah, which is beside the existing win32/vs*.

The existing GStreamer modules in OABuild aren't yet forward-ported to OAH,
> but
> this is work in progress.

Yes, I've already started the work, but currently I'm sort of waiting for
the upcoming cvs->git migration. Ref. Edward Hervey's mail to mailinglist a
couple of days ago. :)

Regards,
Haakon