[gst-devel] Git commit messages

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Sat Jan 31 15:27:21 CET 2009

Hi all,

maybe I'm alone with this, but I think it'd be nice if our commit
message summary lines were a bit more self-explanatory.

In particular, I think it'd be nice if we could start prefixing the
summary lines with the plugin/element/baseclass in question, e.g.

 playbin: fix this and that
 blademux: ..
 basesrc: ...
 controller: ...

or the like. This would make it easier to see from the commit messages /
summary lines whether a commit is 'interesting' or not, and to separate
signal from noise, and to generally follow what's going on. (Yes, I'm
aware that the changed files are listed both in gitk/giggle and in the
commit mail.)

In the same vein, please don't use words like 'here' in a summary line
('Don't do this here' is not a great summary), and make it clear whether
code was changed or not (e.g. 'Fix typo' could mean code or docs).

Flame away.

Cheers
 -Tim