[gst-devel] Video surveillance application

Andrzej Polatyński apolatynski at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 14:48:57 CET 2009

Hello,

I'm writing a simple video surveillance application. I started with
creating simple GUI and basic gst pipeline for viewing live video
stream.

Now I want to add some video analyzing code to perform abandoned
object detection. For this I need to grab video frames. I found this
element gdkpixbufsink and thought that it can be used for my task, but
I couldn't force it to work yet. As of now, my pipeline looks like
this:

v4l2src -> ffmpegcolorspace -> tee -> xvimagesink
                                                  \-> gdkpixbufsink

Is my approach good? Does the gdkpixbufsink need a separate thread? Is
there any other way of getting video frames?

My second problem is how to draw over output video images, so that
user could see for example an red outline indicating a detected object
through xvimagesink. I see that there are some elements that can
overlay text, but I can't find any element that could overlay an
image.

--
Thanks,
Andrzej Polatyński