[gst-devel] Error : App hangs when I try to test my source plugin

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Wed Jun 10 17:09:12 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 10 June 2009 10:21:26 Krishnakumar Ramachandran wrote:
>  I am trying to create a sample source plugin with 2 source pads. (My large
> idea is to include a demux also in the source plugin and at that point in
> time one pad will push audio and the other will push video. But as of now
> both pads are of type "ANY"). To test my plugin, I am trying to connect it
> to two filesinks (i.e each source pad is connected to the sink pad of a
> filesink). So the pipeline has 3 plugins. My test source  and 2 filesinks.
> After creating the pipeline, I call gst_element_set_state with
> GST_STATE_PLAYING. After this initially all 3 of the plugins and pipeline
> move to READY state (I get bus_call callback with state changed
> confirmation). Then my source plugin changes to PAUSED state and then the
> entire app hangs. I have attached the sample app code I am working on.
> Please tell me what I am doing wrong here.

 Most likely, your plugin is not pushing any buffers while in PAUSED state.
The filesinks try to go to PAUSED asynchronously (as you can see from the
set_state return value).  They will only succeed in the state change once
they received a buffer from the upstream element.  This is called prerolling.

 You can take a look at the implementation of GstBaseSrc
(gstreamer/gst-libs/base/gstbasesrc.c) for an example of how a source element
should work.  GstBaseSrc only supports a single source pad, so you can't use
that directly.

 By the way, it is in general not a good idea to combine stuff into a single
element.  In particular, merging the demux with the source is probably a very
bad idea.  In most cases, you can live with the standard source elements and
just add a custom caps type for your mux.  Or, if really necessary, it may be
more convenient to create two source elements that share some common state
info.

 Regards,
 Arnout

--
Arnout Vandecappelle                               arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect                 +32-16-286540