[gst-devel] Mozilla & gstreamer

David Ascher dascher at mozillamessaging.com
Wed Jun 17 22:16:03 CEST 2009

On 6/17/09 1:05 PM, Michael Dale wrote:
> Mozilla is looking to include auiod/video capture for Firefox and the
> Mozilla platform in the future. Gstreamer was proposed as a technical
> solution. Technical issues aside Chris Blizzard expressed concern over
> issues with licenses. Before technical issues for gstreamer with
> Mozilla Firefox can be fully considered the license issues have to be
> sorted.

A side note: I believe that the context was Thunderbird, not Firefox.
The licensing restrictions aren't any different, and it's possible that
Firefox would do something like that, but I just wanted to set the context.

Also, my comment was that I'd want to explore what's possible as
Thunderbird add-on -- it's way, way too early to talk about inclusion of
anything in Thunderbird or Firefox.  I'd be fine with an add-on that was
Linux only and LGPL, for example, as it'd be an experiment, not a part
of Thunderbird.

> If these license issues can be sorted a more technical discussion can
> follow as to whether gstreamer would be the best choice for inclusion
> of these features into the Mozilla platform.

As Chris mentioned, cross-platform support is at least as important I
suspect from a Mozilla POV.  I'm ignorant: what's the state of gstreamer
on Windows/Mac?

--david