[gst-devel] Mozilla & gstreamer

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller christian.schaller at collabora.co.uk
Thu Jun 18 13:32:19 CEST 2009

Hi Michael,
As Michael Smith pointed out, relicensing GStreamer would be very hard,
the problem is that when you been around 10 years, the list of
contributors tend to become very large for a project as big as
GStreamer. That said I don't think any of us have any big issues with
the MPL as such, as it is pretty much equivalent to the terms of the
LGPL, so it is just about the huge amount of work it would be to find
all the past contributors and get them to agree, and in the case someone
has fallen off the face of the planet, figure out exactly what they
contributed back in the day to see if it is still in there and if so if
it can be replaced. If we limit the relicensing to the core that would
make it a bit more viable though.

Of course my feeling is that this change would probably not be enough
for Mozilla, as glib would still be LGPL-only, and I think getting glib
relicensed would probably be an even more herculean task.

I have been talking with Christopher about GStreamer and Mozilla from
time to time, and while I would be willing to do some legwork to get
code tri-licensed, my impression is that no plausible relicensing option
would be acceptable for Mozilla. (Not a criticism of Mozilla, just a
statement of the current status).

So my current hope is that we will reach a point where Mozilla decides
that all this media stuff is just to painful to handle themselves and
thus be willing to reconsider the licensing requirement :)

Christian