[gst-devel] [directdrawsink] Overlay Support?

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Sun Mar 1 21:37:09 CET 2009

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 12:24 PM, Thomas Loewe <lazyt at gmx.net> wrote:

>> Sure, if you can supply a patch.
>
> If i could do this myself i wouldn't ask for help here. ;)
>
>> I doubt anyone's going to add things to directdrawsink for you if you
>> don't, though. (directdrawsink isn't
> very good: it crashes a lot, and doesn't handle YUV video, only RGB, so it's
> very slow for most video playback.
>
> Then GStreamer for Windows is useless or how else can we play a video here?
> I only know dshowvideosink and sdl.

dshowvideosink works pretty well, and is actively maintained. Since
you already knew of other things, you obviously didn't think there was
no other way to play video - so there's no need for that sort of
attitude.

I'm told glimagesink works too (though I haven't personally tried that one).

>> You didn't provide much detail here at all - even what sort of overlay
>> support you're talking about.
>
> There's only one overlay surface in ddraw as far as i know.
>
> OK, as i undertand nobody is active working on videosinks for windows -
> that's a pity...

No, just nobody is working on directdrawsink.

Mike