[gst-devel] [RFC] Moving away from 'common'

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 00:55:53 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Jan Schmidt <thaytan at noraisin.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 23:01 +0000, Tim-Philipp Müller wrote:
>> On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 00:00 +0200, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>>
>> > No comments on the proposal?
>>
>> Besides the resounding 'no' you got on IRC yesterday you mean?
>>
>> Anyway, -1 from me for the record. The current system works well enough
>> for me, although I can certainly think of improvements on the git side
>> that would make things a bit nicer (some of which are being worked on
>> already afaik).
>>

> And from me. The fact that git can't accomodate the model we had with
> CVS is a failing of git. And one that they are apparently working on.

Or a failure of the model.

I keep hearing "they are working on it", I have been following git
development since a long time now (even participated) and I only see
sporadic patches for git submodule, but in my view it's still a second
class citizen... nobody cares about it (or rather... very few people).

> I really dislike the idea of a gst-util module for build-time
> dependencies.

So essentially you dislike having /usr/share/aclocal/*.m4 in your system.

Following that mentality then /usr/share/aclocal/glib.m4 is bad, you
should add a git submodule for glib-common.

How about a plugin developer that doesn't like git and uses mercurial,
or bzr? How are they supposed to have all the 'common' fanciness?

--
Felipe Contreras