[gst-devel] Assertion Failed when gst_element_factory_make is called

Karthik Hariharakrishnan Karthik.Hariharakrishnan at arm.com
Fri Mar 6 10:07:30 CET 2009

Hi all,

    I have cross compiled gstreamer (and base plugins) for the ARM
platform. I have not been able to execute one of the examples given in
the folder gst-plugins-base-0.10.22/tests/examples/app in the ARM
target.
When gst_element_factory_make() is called with any argument, it returns
null and hence asserts the following line. I have done the following
debugging.
1. Found that the registry contains only two names. (bin and pipeline).
Does not contain "appsrc" or "identity" or "fakesink" etc etc
2. I could reproduce the problem in my linux desktop distribution also.
a. First, I build gst-plugins-base (latest version -0.10.22)
b. I don't perform make install
c. I link my test application with the libraries generated (but they
have not been installed)
d. build test app and run (same assertion error as ARM target)
3. In the 2nd step, the assertion failed can be removed if perform "make
install" and install the libraries in /usr/local/lib (usual destination)

To summarize, it looks like the gstreamer registry is not populated
properly in/for the ARM target. How do I go about doing this manually
(do I need some xml file or something like that which contains all the
plugin registries?)/

Thanks,
Karthik

--
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium.  Thank you.