[gst-devel] Gstreamer compilation on Windows

Andoni Morales ylatuya at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 19:04:46 CET 2009

2009/3/6 gstPrafull <prafull.mankar at gmail.com>

> Hi Andoni,
> I changed the following properties for all the projects and I could compile
> all the projects on Intel's core 2 Duo with Win XP except "camerabin" and
> "libgstreal".
>

> 1. Properties->C/C++ -> Optimization ->Whole program optimization
>  Value set to 'No' from 'Enable link-time code generation'
> 2. Properties-> Linker -> Optimization ->Link Time Code Genertion
>  Value set to 'Default' from 'User Link Time Code Generation'

It's good to know that...

> I could play the video file there after using simple pipeline
> gst-launch-0.10.exe filesrc location= "C://imo.avi" ! decodebin2 !
> ffmpegcolorspace ! directdrawsink
>
> I guess the Gstreamer got built for 32 bit processor (since Properties ->
> Linker -> Advanced -> Target Machine = MachineX86) but still running on
> Intel's Core 2 Duo which is 64 bit processor. Correct me if I am wrong.

Indeed binaries compiled for 32 bits processors are compatible for 64 bits
processor, but you don't get the same performance as if they were compilled
for a 64 bits architecture.

> Let me know how good is this to do above mentioned procedure ?
> and how these changes will affect performance of Gstreamer when used for
> application development which will run more complex pipelines?

These changes only applies to compilation optimizations, so it should
improve  performance. If everything still working, I'll add this flag to
build environment.

Cheers
Andoni