[gst-devel] GSoC proposal: Improving GStreamer on Windows and Mac

Farkas Levente lfarkas at lfarkas.org
Wed Mar 25 15:28:02 CET 2009

Andoni Morales wrote:
> I would like to participate in the Google Summer of Code improving
> GStreamer on Windows.
>
> GStreamer is well known multimedia framework in the GNU/Linux world,
> but we cannot say the same thing for Windows and Mac. Many developpers
> are afraid to use GStreamer on these platforms for a simple reason:
> the GStreamer team doesn't provide updated binaries and it's quite
> difficult to compile your own GStreamer binaries (at least for
> Windows).
> My project (www.ylatuya.es) uses GStreamer on Linux, and I wanted to
> port it to Windows and Mac. On the Windows side I had to face many
> problems... The first one, as I told before, is that there is no
> GStreamer binary packages for Windows. So I started thinking about
> compiling GStreamer by own and then I faced the other big problem:
> creating a build environment to compile all the GStreamer plugins,
> including those that has external dependencies.
> That's why I decided to start a new project, GStreamer Winbuilds
> (http://www.gstreamer-winbuild.ylatuya.es), together with Andres
> Colubri, to provide an installer with  functional and updated
> GStreamer binary packages, and a build environment for GStreamer. This
> project is actually based on OABuild because OAH wasn't ready yet. But
> the main question is always the same.. Why do we need OABuild or OAH?
> Because getting a complete build environment on Windows is quite
> difficult.
>
> My proposal for the GSoC to improve GStreamer in Windows is based on
> this points:
>
>    *Create a script to automatize the creation of a build environment
> to compile GStreamer on Windows. The goal of this script is to fetch
> all the external dependencies that provide pre-compiled binaries and
> developers files  (as for GLib, pango, speex, etc...) or build those
> that doesn't. This script will also fecth and patch the GStreamer
> sources (some plugins needs small fixes to compile under MSVC, for
> example)
>    *Migrate all the existing Visual Studio projects to codeblocks
> which is Free Software and can be used with many C/C++ compilers (GCC,
> MSVC, Borland, etc..)
>    *Finish the work started with GStreamer WinBuild by adding all the
> remaining plugins and create an installer with the whole GStreamer's
> plugins set.
>
> I hope you will consider my proposal!!!

at the same time we also start to push gstreamer into fedora's mingw
packages:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW
so we can build everything on linux without windows with the same tools
(ie. compiler, linker etc) as the linux version.
the big problem that we've to package all required deps too which
required a huge work since there are dozens of libs which have to
repackage again.
any helps are welcome:-)