[gst-devel] [gst-cvs] gst-openmax: .gitignore: ignore more

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 21:24:55 CET 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Edward Hervey <bilboed at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'll interpret that as "I don't care", so I went ahead and made the
>> modifications.
>
>  ?? I would rather interpret the following as "I don't care about
> GStreamer":

What? From your response one would think that 'not caring' about
.gitignore was a bad thing. It's not, some people care, some people
don't. He doesn't, I do... there's nothing inherently wrong with that.

And now you throw a bunch of stuff that's completely unrelated:

>  * Removing usage of common submodule

So? What is the impact?

I'm thinking on adding a script that updates the files I copied from
'common' and firing it before making a release. How would that be any
different from the current situation?

>  * Doing whitespace fixes after that and then suggesting those changes
> go into common (you could have done it in common from the start)

I have suggested ways to improve 'common' and those were ignored.

I don't see why I should put high in my priority list whitespace
cleanups for something I don't think should even exist (common).

>  * Removing the gst-indent pre-commit

The only thing that script is doing is ensuring the current code has
two code-styles. Two code-styles = bad.

>  * Not using the gstreamer indentation style (there's a REASON we use
> it : it allows much faster reviewing of all gstreamer modules by other
> GStreamer developers).

There has been plenty of time to improve gst-openmax, including the
code-style, and I've never seen any interest in doing that on any
mailing list.

Now, the same day you proposed to update the code-style in our
internal (Nokia) IRC, I came up with a plan to do that without
disturbing anyone and I made it public on the gst-openmax mailing
list.

I'm executing that plan, and sent some patches for reviewing.

I'm also a busy person, and could spend my time doing some other more
productive stuff, and even though I'm doing exactly I said I would,
apparently that's not good enough for you.

>  Should we remove gst-openmax from git.freedesktop.org ?

Is that a threat? Well I'm going to seriously consider that as I
haven't seen any benefit from being on the 'GStreamer' umbrella at
all. If anything, it's the other way around, GStreamer has benefited
because in the embedded community vendors provide OpenMAX IL
components, not GStreamer.

--
Felipe Contreras