[gst-devel] gstreamer-sharp as GSoC project...

Jonas Finnemann Jensen jopsen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 09:19:09 CET 2009

Hi,

I'm one of the many developers who've been missing gstreamer-sharp bindings
for years... And as I'm thinking about participating in GSoC this year... I
was wondering whether it was a project for me... However, I'm a bit curious
about exactly what such a project would involve...

I've been reading about GAPI at mono's wiki and had a look at the source
from:
http://anonsvn.mono-project.com/viewvc/branches/abock/gstreamer-sharp/

And as far as I can see, the source doesn't compile anymore... Looks like
conflicts between signals and emit methods... Nevertheless, I imagine that
making it compile is only a matter of changing a bit in the fixup xml... but
if that is all needed to get gstreamer-sharp bindings stable it'd probably
already be done... :)

So I'm wondering what is the status of the gstreamer-sharp bindings, what
needs to be done before the bindings becomes usable and how much of this, if
not all of it, would constitute a reasonable GSoC project...

Also, as gstreamer-sharp bindings have been GSoC project at least two times
before, I'm wondering if the project is already doomed?
And if this is a project for me... I haven't got any experience with
bindings or gstreamer... But I have been writing C# on mono for a few years,
and I'm interested in gstreamer-sharp bindings because I've been missing
audio playback capability for TheLastRipper, an old project of mine...
Also I'm not unfamiliar with C, but have never been playing with GObject in
C though...

--
Regards Jonas Finnemann Jensen.