[gst-devel] gstreamer-sharp as GSoC project...

Sebastian Dröge sebastian.droege at collabora.co.uk
Fri Mar 27 18:21:26 CET 2009

Am Freitag, den 27.03.2009, 09:19 +0100 schrieb Jonas Finnemann Jensen:
> Hi,
>
> I'm one of the many developers who've been missing gstreamer-sharp
> bindings for years... And as I'm thinking about participating in GSoC
> this year... I was wondering whether it was a project for me...
> However, I'm a bit curious about exactly what such a project would
> involve...
>
> I've been reading about GAPI at mono's wiki and had a look at the
> source from:
> http://anonsvn.mono-project.com/viewvc/branches/abock/gstreamer-sharp/
>
> And as far as I can see, the source doesn't compile anymore... Looks
> like conflicts between signals and emit methods... Nevertheless, I
> imagine that making it compile is only a matter of changing a bit in
> the fixup xml... but if that is all needed to get gstreamer-sharp
> bindings stable it'd probably already be done... :)
>
> So I'm wondering what is the status of the gstreamer-sharp bindings,
> what needs to be done before the bindings becomes usable and how much
> of this, if not all of it, would constitute a reasonable GSoC
> project...
>
> Also, as gstreamer-sharp bindings have been GSoC project at least two
> times before, I'm wondering if the project is already doomed?
> And if this is a project for me... I haven't got any experience with
> bindings or gstreamer... But I have been writing C# on mono for a few
> years, and I'm interested in gstreamer-sharp bindings because I've
> been missing audio playback capability for TheLastRipper, an old
> project of mine...
> Also I'm not unfamiliar with C, but have never been playing with
> GObject in C though...

Hi,
thanks for your interest in this project, I know that there are many
people out there who would like to have C# bindings for GStreamer :)

First of all a small warning: It's about 2 years ago that I've looked
last at the current state of the bindings so this is all from my memory.

IIRC the biggest problems with the bindings currently are refcount
issues and correct bindings of GstMiniObject derived types. Then there
is still a lot of stuff that needs to be bound and the current API
probably also needs a deep review. Also the generated code needs to be
replaced by custom, handwritten code in some functions.
I'll take a closer look at it in the next days :)

To get the GAPI source code parser to work with the gstreamer sources
there are some patches in source/ btw, these need to be updated and if
possible/useful be merged into gstreamer.

I don't think that gstreamer-sharp is a doomed project, the last two
attempts didn't produce finished bindings but at least there's a start
now. It's a lot of work and I don't believe anybody could possibly
create complete bindings in one summer.

Your knowledge about C and C# should be a good start but I'd suggest
that you also take a look at how GObject and GStreamer work in C and
also take a look at good and existing bindings of GObject-based
libraries, like Gtk# for example.