[gst-devel] [GSoC] Multimedia correction plugins

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 09:03:22 CET 2009

On Sat, 2009-03-28 at 09:16 +0200, Pavel Kostyuchenko wrote:
> Sorry for such a big delay, I managed to be not subscribed to this ML.
>

> I found that in GStreamer there's almost no ability to correct your
> video/audio either in realtime (e.g. webcam) or non-realtime (e.g.
> while editing movies in PiTiVi). There some external tools that
> provide such functionality for audio (e.g. Audacity) and video (e.g.
> filters in MPlayer, Kino or VirtualDub). But in the case of realtime
> processing they are useless.
> I think it's a good idea to find existing filters and integrate them
> into GStreamer so any GStreamer-based program could use it.

   That would be an excellent goal indeed.

   But in order to make your proposal realistic, I would suggest giving
specific examples of 'correction' filters you intend to use/port.

> Some words about me. As you may already know, I'm a student and that's
> my second SoC. I'm not very familiar with GStreamer and I've never
> written a plugin for it, but in the past I wrote some little programs
> using GStreamer (e.g. the last one is for taking shots periodically on
> my N810).

   Having used part of the GStreamer API (on the application side) means
you're at least a little bit familiar, but this is going to require a
substantial amount of work to get to something functional.
   Therefore be very specific in your proposal about your
availabilities, deliverables, etc...

> So, I'd like to hear some criticism of the proposal and my
> participation in it. Or is it perfect or do you want to hear something
> more from me?

  The clock is ticking, less than a week left. You should start writing
your proposal on the soc website right now, so that mentors can comment
and give you feedback before the deadline,

  Best luck,

     Edward