[gst-devel] Attaching iSight camera to a GStreamer on OSX

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Mon Apr 12 16:21:27 CEST 2010

On Mon, 2010-04-12 at 04:16 -0800, Wes Miller wrote:

> Sorry for the lack of information.  I have an iMac with Snow Leopard
> installed.

Ok, so Mac OS X, not Linux.

> I've managed to get gstreamer up and running and thought I'd do
> the simplest task possible, display the output of the camera.  Thinking the
> camera had to be in /dev, i looked for the device name and found nothing.  I
> am unfamiliar with v4l2src so I had no idea it'd go find the stream - at
> least that's what your pipeline suggests it's doing.  Once again the
> gstreamer docs aren't ....ahhhh.... helpful.
>
> So, it looks like your iSight is a USB device?  Is the built in camera also
> USB?
>
> No Mac here at work so I'll give all this a try tonight.

It *should* be fairly simple if there is actually an element for this
already. You shouldn't have to specify a device, it should just pick the
first one available (which would typically be your camera).

IIRC people have suggested various things to you last Friday, but you
just replied 'thanks for all the suggestions' earlier, but didn't
actually say what you've tried, what worked/didn't work, how it failed
etc.

 Cheers
  -Tim