[gst-devel] Checking capabilities of GStreamer

Tiago Katcipis katcipis at inf.ufsc.br
Mon Apr 19 13:58:11 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Steve Ricketts <velocedge at hotmail.com>wrote:

> I'm developing an application in C#/Mono in which I need to use both
> audio and video bi-directionally over a sockets connection on Linux.  I
> am asking if GStreamer can do the following tasks:
>
> Audio
>
> 1. Take GSM 6.10 audio from a byte array and play it on the speaker
> 2. Convert a PCM byte array to GSM 6.10

For inserting/getting byte arrays of data on a gstreamer pipeline you can
use appsink and appsrc:

http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/manual/html/section-data-spoof.html

http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-base-plugins/html/gst-plugins-base-plugins-plugin-app.html

gstreamer has GSM suppport:
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-bad-plugins/html/gst-plugins-bad-plugins-plugin-gsm.html

but i dont know if it is 6.10.

> Video
>
> 1. Capture video from a webcam to byte array
> 2. Convert captured byte array to compressed format (preferably MS
> MPEG42 to integrate with existing app... could be other format)

for video in linux you can use:

http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-base-plugins/html/gst-plugins-base-plugins-plugin-video4linux.html

and to extract the data as byte arrays you already know :-).

> The audio functions are by far the most important right now.  If
> GStreamer can do the above audio functions, what do I need to download
> for openSUSE 11.2 to get the latest version?

I'm not very used with openSUSE, on Ubuntu i usually install almost all
gstreamer plugins that comes with my distro :-). But installing gstreamer,
gstreamer-base, gstreamer-good, gstreamer-bad and gstreamer-ffmpeg (I
believe that the MPEG encoding will be here) should do it for you.

> Thanks for your advice,
>
> Steve

best regards,
Katcipis