[gst-devel] GStreamer in Windows - need alternate stage separator character

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Mon Apr 26 16:40:24 CEST 2010

hi,

Wes Miller wrote:
> In Windows the default behavior of script vars like %myvar%, is for all
> instances of all variables to be substituted at the time the script is
> invoked.  In other words, variables stop being variable as soon as they have
> a value.
>
> The solution is to turn on delayed variable substitution by passing a
> command arg to cmd.exe (usually in the icon's properties).  Our dear friends
> at MS, I suppose to keep the expected behavior of %myvar% working as (badly)
> designed, decided that delayed ass-gnment vars should be indicated by
> enclosing them in !'s instead of %'s.
>
> And that's the problem.  ! is also gstreamer's pipe stage separator symbol.
> In a cmd window with delayed variable assignment turned on, windows sees
> them as surrounding delayed variables with names like "! ffmpegcolorspace !"
> -- spaces and all.
>
> So, dear friends in the gst community, is it possible to use a different
> separator character with gstreamer?
>
> If not, who do I ask about adding a new parm to gst-launch that will set a
> (different) stage separator char?

It would not be enough to change it there. You would need to change it
in gst/parse/parse.l.
On the otherhand we could probably have an option that on windows we
replace any "|" pipe symbols with "!" before passing the string to
gst_parse_launch. Does the "|" have a special meaning in cmd.exe?

One you have a idea, how this could work, you can file a bug
(enhancement request) to bugzilla.gnome.org. Ideall containing a patch :)

Stefan