[gst-devel] Audio noise filter ?

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Mon Apr 26 17:14:40 CEST 2010

Edward Hervey wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-04-26 at 10:28 +0200, Nicolas Hennion wrote:
>
>> Is there a plugin to filter the noise of an audio stream ? I want to
>> encode a voice (from a microphone) without the noise environment.
>>

>   We don't have a native one in gstreamer. Maybe there is a ladspa
> filter you could use through gst-ladspa.
>
>   The problem with a one-pass filter though is that you have to guess
> yourself what the proper settings are.
>
>   If someone's up to it, a great filter to wrap (or rewrite?) into a
> gstreamer element would be audacity's noise filter which comes in two
> parts:
>   * A noise profiler : you select a portion of audio which has almost
> only noise (i.e. when someone isn't speaking for example)
>   * The actual noise remover, which uses the settings from the noise
> profiler.
>
>    Edward

One approach that worked well for me back at the time when I hack on
SoundFX/Amiga was a multiband noisegate. A Noisegate just watches the
amplitude and sets the output to silence when the signal falls below a
threashold. Opening and closing the gate is usualy done with a small
fade. Now if this is done on several frequency bands, it works quite
nicely even for non speech signals.

Stefan