[gst-devel] Reduce GstXvImageSink rendering frequency when window is obscured

Le, Yongnian yongnian.le at intel.com
Fri Dec 3 04:09:23 CET 2010

Hi,

I am working on video conference application using gstreamer framework. In video conference, there might be multiple screens for video rendering using XvImageSink. I found that although some window is obscured ( for example full screen mode), its related XvImageSink is still busy on calling gst_xvimagesink_show_frame for video rendering. I am wondering that we could have optimization to detect additional "Obscured" xevent and reduce the rendering frequency to very low value, like 1 fps, if such window is obscured. In this way, we can save precious resources for most applications, like CPU and power, at the same time, having minimal impact to end user. Does that approach make sense? What do you guys think of it? Thanks a lot for your feedback and comments.

Best Regards
Yongnian