[gst-devel] Need help with dvd playback

Alex Launi alex.launi at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 20:53:41 CET 2010

Hi, I'm trying to get Banshee playing DVDs, but I'm having a whale of a time
getting the pipeline to keep rolling and actually play DVDs. As I'm sure
many of you are familiar with, Banshee handles most media types, and audio
cds very well, yet for some reason the pipeline is stalling out with dvds. I
can't figure out what the problem is, was hoping someone could help me debug
the issue. We've got a fairly complex pipeline, but more or less it's
playbin2 using gconf audio and video sinks. There are other elements for eq,
visualizations, and etc.

It looks like when you usually start playing a media file, gst goes through
a series of internal state changes before the data actually starts flowing
down the pipeline. Mine seems to be stalling out after the first state
change.

Basically what I'm doing is setting the playbin uri to dvd:// and the device
property to /dev/sr0 (my disc drive), and then setting the state to PLAYING.
Is there more I should need to do? That's all I'm aware of us doing for
video files and audio files. Audio CDs work fine, and dvds play with
gst-launch -v playbin2 uri=dvd://

Thanks for any help. If there's more info that would be useful please let me
know and I'll provide it.

--
--Alex Launi