[gst-devel] Need help with dvd playback

Marco Ballesio gibrovacco at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 21:46:45 CET 2010

Hi,

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 9:53 PM, Alex Launi <alex.launi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to get Banshee playing DVDs, but I'm having a whale of a time
> getting the pipeline to keep rolling and actually play DVDs. As I'm sure
> many of you are familiar with, Banshee handles most media types, and audio
> cds very well, yet for some reason the pipeline is stalling out with dvds. I
> can't figure out what the problem is, was hoping someone could help me debug
> the issue. We've got a fairly complex pipeline, but more or less it's
> playbin2 using gconf audio and video sinks. There are other elements for eq,
> visualizations, and etc.
> It looks like when you usually start playing a media file, gst goes through
> a series of internal state changes before the data actually starts flowing
> down the pipeline. Mine seems to be stalling out after the first state
> change.
> Basically what I'm doing is setting the playbin uri to dvd:// and the device

which element is the "device" property related to?

> property to /dev/sr0 (my disc drive), and then setting the state to PLAYING.
> Is there more I should need to do? That's all I'm aware of us doing for
> video files and audio files. Audio CDs work fine, and dvds play with
> gst-launch -v playbin2 uri=dvd://

posting a backtrace of the stalling point may be of help here. You may
get it running the process under gdb and then asking for a backtrace
when the pipeline gets stuck.

Alternatively, you can send a SIGABRT to the stuck application,
collect the core and the perform a post-mortem analysis.

Regards