[gst-devel] CentOS 64 bit, how to get latest version 0.10.31 ?

Sean McNamara smcnam at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 18:26:21 CET 2010

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Shamun toha md <shamun.toha at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am not sure what is that mean, but i thought i should ask it in mailing to
> make sure. I used an example in fedora works, but tried in CentOS 5.4 it
> does not work.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that a certain pipeline
example or gstreamer application works in Fedora 12, but not in CentOS
5.4. That is a valid reason for wanting to upgrade your gstreamer
version, though you might simply be missing a certain plugin, or
hitting an easily fixable bug. Without specific details about what
"does not work" in particular, we can't help you more than that. BTW,
CentOS 6.0 does not exist yet, only RHEL 6.0...

> Fedora         gstreamer.i686  0.10.29-1.fc12 (working my test code)
>
> CentOS 5.4  gstreamer-0.10.20-3.el5.x86_64.rpm  (does not work)
> CentOS 6.0  gstreamer-0.10.26-1.el6.x86_64.rpm  (i am confused)

I'm confused, too! You aren't explaining yourself very well. You seem
to be grabbing random RPMs and trying them? For your info, it's
probably better to use a package manager, such as yum. Getting RPMs
off of pbone or other RPM finding services does not guarantee that the
built binaries you install will be compatible with the rest of your
stack (i.e. that package's dependencies).

> How can i then test in CentOS, the latest Gstreamer releases ? Is there any
> guides or how tos to achieve that ? Or its impossible because CentOS 6.0
> will sitll use the old version ?
>
> I am little bit confused now, will it be possible to have the latest and
> greatest ?

With free software, it is always possible :) The real question is
whether you are willing to work for the desired result. Since
Gstreamer is in userspace, and its dependencies are pretty flexible,
it should be "easy" to upgrade the version by compiling from source.
Another possibility is that you could find a repository online that
has updated binary packages, though I don't know where such a
repository would be, and such a thing wouldn't be supported by the
Gstreamer project maintainers. Nor would it be supported by CentOS
project or Red Hat. Compiling from vanilla sources might lend you some
unofficial advice/support here among interested gstreamer users,
though.

Gstreamer project itself used to distribute binaries for RHEL/CentOS,
but it seems they haven't been updated since 2008; for example, see:
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/pkg/rhel/5/0.10/i386/gst/ (but DON'T
install these; they are very old!)

The short story is that yes, you can of course install the latest
gstreamer and plugins from source, provided your system has the
required dependencies (and the minimum versions), or provided that you
compile the required dependencies yourself. This can take a lot of
time, especially if you've never done it before, and special
considerations are required if you plan to do this on many different
computers, e.g. in an IT environment. In that case you may want to
build your own RPM packages of it on a development box, and simply
install them on each of the client computers.

Your email does not really provide enough information for me to offer
any further advice, but I hope this gets you started as to your
options....

Sean