[gst-devel] GnlComposition Signals

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 11:42:43 CET 2010

On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 17:33 -0500, Timothy Braun wrote:
> Hey Everyone,
>   So I have a gnlcomposition which, for the matter of depicting the
> situation, has 5 sources.  3 sources play for 30 seconds followed by
> the remaining 2 sources for another 30 seconds.  This should produce a
> 1 minute video.  The composition has a videomixer in a gnloperation to
> mix the sources for final output.
>
>   I'm running into a situation where the pipeline gets stuck during
> the transition from 3 sources to 2 sources.  It seems the video mixer
> is trying to send a seek event to all it's sink pads, which fails on
> the pad which no-longer has a source.  During my tests, the
> gnlcomposition will happily create new pads, ie. changing the order so
> it's 2 sources followed by 3 sources works fine.  But the opposite
> doesn't seem to be true, the gnlcomposition doesn't remove unused pads
> to it's operations.
>
>   This brings me to the question of, is there a signal I'm not
> handling appropriately?  If so, any pointers on which one I should be
> listening for?

  If the element you put in a gnloperation has dynamic sink pads, the
gnloperation will call gst_element_request_pad() and
gst_element_release_request_pad() when needed.
  videomixer alone should work fine in those cases. If you have put a
custom element with ghostpads, make sure you check when they are
added/removed and properly request/release the targets of those
ghostpads.

   Edward