[gst-devel] Selective decoding of video packets

Rohit Atri rohitratri at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 16:42:35 CET 2010

Hi,

I m writing an application which reads mp4 packets from a file (bin1:
filesrc->qtdemux->appsink), do some analysis on a set(say 100 - depending on
the duration of the video) of packets and choose one single packet and send
it for decoding (bin2: appsrc->ffdec_mpeg4->appsink) and then save this
image... repeat the process for all packets in the video.
I've a few questions -
1. Are the elements I'm using apt?  and do I've to do some thread management
since I've to pipelines?
2. a. I'm able to receive packets from bin1, do some analysis and send a
single packet(iFrame) for decoding.. but bin2 doesn't return the packet
back(the application hangs!)..
b. When I turn on the logs with level-4, I do get the packet back!!! - so it
could be timing issue, I suspect.
c. The bin1 returns say 200 or so packets and the app receives an EOS
message from it! - why is that?
3. Does appsink return packets as and when it receives them or does it wait
to preroll?

Please help me understand the situation better. I've hit a roadblock! Please
let me know if you need some logs...

Thanks
Rohit