[gst-devel] What are the types of the parameters that can be passed to gst_init ?

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Sun Dec 26 19:18:12 CET 2010

On Sun, 2010-12-26 at 10:10 -0800, Anirudh wrote:

> I am a newbie in the field of Gstreamer and I have just started reading the
> official manual for application developers and its damn! interesting.
>
> I encountered that gst_init() function is used to initialize the Gstreamer.
> (fine)
> but I do not know what kind of parameters can be passed to it.
>
> They have given an example where they use it like : gst_init(&argc,&argv)
> but its not given what are the values/can be the possible values of argc and
> argv. (that I should pass)

The options from 'gst-inspect-0.10 --help-gst' basically, ie.:

GStreamer Options
  --gst-version                        Print the GStreamer version
  --gst-fatal-warnings                 Make all warnings fatal
  --gst-debug-help                     Print available debug categories
and exit
  --gst-debug-level=LEVEL              Default debug level from 1 (only
error) to 5 (anything) or 0 for no output
  --gst-debug=LIST                     Comma-separated list of
category_name:level pairs to set specific levels for the individual
categories. Example: GST_AUTOPLUG:5,GST_ELEMENT_*:3
  --gst-debug-no-color                 Disable colored debugging output
  --gst-debug-disable                  Disable debugging
  --gst-plugin-spew                    Enable verbose plugin loading
diagnostics
  --gst-plugin-path=PATHS              Colon-separated paths containing
plugins
  --gst-plugin-load=PLUGINS            Comma-separated list of plugins
to preload in addition to the list stored in environment variable
GST_PLUGIN_PATH
  --gst-disable-segtrap                Disable trapping of segmentation
faults during plugin loading
  --gst-disable-registry-update        Disable updating the registry
  --gst-disable-registry-fork          Disable spawning a helper process
while scanning the registry

However, the idea is basically that you just pass in the command line
arguments a passed by the user. If you want to enable/disable any of
these things from your program, you should just use the corresponding
GStreamer API to enable/disable it (where available).

Cheers
 -Tim