[gst-devel] What is the purpose of gst audioconvert plugin

Anirudh anirudhtomer at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 11:52:26 CET 2010

So I was going thru the gst manual and I found that in an example for playing
an ogg file they were using an audio converter after decoding the ogg format
into raw format.

the pipeline they were using is as follows:

file-source | ogg-demuxer | vorbis-decoder | converter | alsa-output

so my question is what is the purpose of audioconverter when I have already
decoded it.
I mean!!! to which format am I converting it.
So if I have decoded it into raw format, I think I can directly play it.

please enlighten me!!! THanks in advance