[gst-devel] V4lsrc customization (looking for dev for hire)

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Fri Feb 26 08:21:02 CET 2010

Am 24.02.2010 07:06, schrieb Christopher Brooks:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a developer/manager involved with an open source project
> (www.opencastproject.org) that relies on gstreamer for some of our base
> functionality.  We're using a vga capture device with the v4lsrc element to
> record the desktop of faculty, and send this along with other video for
> processing for the web.  The device we have, the Epiphan VGA2USB, doesn't
> have a driver that pads frames when there is no signal.  Instead, the v4lsrc
> fails when reading from the frame buffer and disrupts the filter chain.
> This is a pretty big problem, as it causes recording of all streams (we bin
> a bunch together) grinds to a halt.  Turns out that our domain (academic
> lectures) often has this kind of issue (picture faculty unplugging vga from
> one laptop into another).  To this end, we've been encouraging users of our
> system to use it with a DA scaler to ensure there is always a vga signal
> being sent to our capture hardware.

I wonder if this is a problem with v4lsrc. At first can you file a bug and post
an error log there:
 GST_DEBUG="*:5" GST_DEBUG_NO_COLOR <your-app> 2>debug.log

Then could you please also try:
  LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so <yout-app>
and use v4l2src instead of v4lsrc. There is also a
/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so that can be preloaded to supply software format
conversion needed for some capture devices.

Basically what I wonder is that as v4lsrc and v4l2src are live sources they
anyway don't capture frames at equidistant timestamps. SO this should just work.

Stefan