[gst-devel] render-delay base sink property for lip-sync?

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Fri Jan 22 13:28:31 CET 2010

pl bossart wrote:
> By reading the code for an unrelated problem I accidentely came across
> the 'render-delay' property in GstBaseSink. Looks to me that this
> could be useful for lip-sync issues, as the audio could be delayed to
> match video processing (HDMI) and vice-versa (BT A2DP audio out). Two
> questions:
> - Has anyone has ever used it in a real app? Any pointers would be
> appreciated, couldn't find much info with google
> - This property looks static/predefined. Somehow it'd need to be
> defined by the time delta on the audio and display sides, using
> information such as EDID, which can vary depending on the outputs. Has
> anyone looked into this?
> Thanks

A sink subclassing basesink can call
gst_base_sink_set_render_delay() when the latency towards the backend has changed. This posts a latency message to the application (bus) and updates the sink latency.
The new latency is used in gst_base_sink_do_sync() which is used by gst_base_sink_render_object() and that finaly is used from the chin function.

I think it should work fine :)

Stefan