[gst-devel] Doubling delay

Jason jflatt at cox.net
Wed Mar 3 06:53:59 CET 2010

I wrote a small audio player application in Qt using Phonon, and running in
Gentoo.

It was working, then I updated something, now I get these odd gaps between
songs.  Every time I switch a song, the gap in between songs seems to double.
The first song will play fine, then when i skip to the next one, there will be
a 2 second gap, and play fine.  next song is 4 second gap, then plays fine,
then 8 second gap, etc, etc.

I switched out phonon backends to VLC to try and narrow down the issue.  VLC
didn't have the gap, but I prefer the gstreamer backend and would like to fix
this issue.  I ran with GST_DEBUG=*:5, and I can see the trends in the log
file.  From what I can tell, during the gaps there is just a lot of reference
counting and filling of buffers.  Why it's doing that, I don't know.  Is there
any kind of debug log parser someone might have that would narrow down the
issue?

If anybody could shed some light on the situation, I would greatly appreciate
it.  My log file can be found at http://www.flattworld.net/gst.log.zip (13MB).
The outline is something like this:
0:00:12.269 - start first song, plays through speakers immediately
0:00:14.209 - command second song
gap
0:00:18.291 - second song plays through speakers
0:00:20.364 - command third song
gap
0:00:29.531 - third song plays through speakers
0:00:31.798 - command fourth song
gap
0:00:49.763 - fourth song plays through speakers
0:00:51.819 - command fifth song
gap
0:01:28.739 - fifth song plays through speakers

Thanks!