[gst-devel] VA-API support

Benjamin Otte otte at redhat.com
Tue May 11 18:45:36 CEST 2010

On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 09:19 +0200, Edward Hervey wrote:
>   I wonder how we could integrate this with the existing GL plugins and
> the ongoing cairo work Benjamin has been doing. Carl-Anton has started
> doing cairo support for the VDPAU plugins, maybe you can check out his
> work or you guys can exchange tips.

I think what we want to do is move things out of vaapi as soon as
possible and put them into something more capable (Cairo surfaces of
course). I don't care if we use GL or xlib surfaces, as I expect to be
able switch quickly between them anyway.

What I'd still like to see is an element that takes as input raw
H264/VC1/... frames and outputs Cairo surfaces. That should give us 100%
of the performance, no need to duplicate sinks and converters yet again
and give us the flexible to do everything we need.

I should probably try to get this working on my i965, but never looked
again because of the bad rep VAAPI got after some people tried to make
it work half a year ago and failed.

Benjamin