[gst-devel] VA-API support

Gwenole Beauchesne gbeauchesne at splitted-desktop.com
Tue May 11 19:59:29 CEST 2010

Le 11 mai 10 à 18:45, Benjamin Otte a écrit :

> On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 09:19 +0200, Edward Hervey wrote:
>>  I wonder how we could integrate this with the existing GL plugins
>> and
>> the ongoing cairo work Benjamin has been doing. Carl-Anton has
>> started
>> doing cairo support for the VDPAU plugins, maybe you can check out
>> his
>> work or you guys can exchange tips.
>>
> I think what we want to do is move things out of vaapi as soon as
> possible and put them into something more capable (Cairo surfaces of
> course). I don't care if we use GL or xlib surfaces, as I expect to be
> able switch quickly between them anyway.

You can't have xlib surfaces.

> What I'd still like to see is an element that takes as input raw
> H264/VC1/... frames and outputs Cairo surfaces. That should give us
> 100%
> of the performance, no need to duplicate sinks and converters yet
> again
> and give us the flexible to do everything we need.

Examples? Your Cairo surfaces will have to be VA surfaces or GL
texture as the outcome. If you want to get rid of the HW surface, you
are left with OpenGL only. If you intend to have the decoded pixels
back, you'd rather get 20% of the performance... Also note that for
some drivers, you will be able to get Y/U/V textures, instead of a
single RGBA texture. So, if you can plan Cairo/GL surfaces made up of
3 textures, that could be an interesting thing too.

> I should probably try to get this working on my i965, but never looked
> again because of the bad rep VAAPI got after some people tried to make
> it work half a year ago and failed.

How?