[gst-devel] VA-API support

Benjamin Otte otte at redhat.com
Tue May 11 22:13:16 CEST 2010

On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 19:59 +0200, Gwenole Beauchesne wrote:
> You can't have xlib surfaces.

Doesn't matter. The way it currently looks is GL all the way.
X (and of course Image) will be supported as a fallback so the apps that
want it can make use of it.

> Examples? Your Cairo surfaces will have to be VA surfaces or GL
> texture as the outcome. If you want to get rid of the HW surface, you
> are left with OpenGL only.

gst-plugins-cairo has a projectm plugin that I used as an example of
something that's capable of nothing but OpenGL.
http://blogs.gnome.org/otte/2010/04/21/hacking-spree/ has a demo video
created with it.

> Also note that for
> some drivers, you will be able to get Y/U/V textures, instead of a
> single RGBA texture. So, if you can plan Cairo/GL surfaces made up of
> 3 textures, that could be an interesting thing too.

So far that has not been a consideration and it certainly will not be in
the first version. But I'm not ruling this out as it might be
interesting to support when people want to operate on YUV directly.
Until then, I'll be happy with just running a shader that blends onto a
single RGBA texture.

> > I should probably try to get this working on my i965, but never looked
> > again because of the bad rep VAAPI got after some people tried to make
> > it work half a year ago and failed.
>
> How?

I don't remember the details. And I didn't have access to a VAAPI-capable
GPU back then.
It's also a bit of a turn-off that no distro ships any packages and even
you advertise that one needs some patchset to make it work. It would be a
lot simpler if there were regular releases and a master branch that one
could follow.

Benjamin