[gst-devel] Caps problem when writing encoder/decoder

Hunterwood markus.jagerskogh at imentum.se
Mon May 17 13:09:52 CEST 2010

Hi,

I'm new to GStreamer and try to write a encoder and a decoder for a compressed audio format. But I have problems to get the Caps-negotiation to work.
I base the code on the gst-template and have basically been looking at the alawenc/alawdec as my example.

Everything works fine if I use "ANY" or "audio/x-raw-int" in the source of the encoder and sink of the decoder:
static GstStaticPadTemplate gtest_enc_src_factory = GST_STATIC_PAD_TEMPLATE ("src",
    GST_PAD_SRC,
    GST_PAD_ALWAYS,
    GST_STATIC_CAPS ("ANY")
static GstStaticPadTemplate gtest_dec_sink_factory = GST_STATIC_PAD_TEMPLATE ("sink",
    GST_PAD_SINK,
    GST_PAD_ALWAYS,
    GST_STATIC_CAPS ("ANY")

But when I change the MIME-type to something else, like for example "audio/mytesttype", I get the error "WARNING: erroneous pipeline: could not link gtestenc0 to gtestdec0".
I'm using the pipeline:
gst-launch-0.10.exe audiotestsrc ! gtestenc ! gtestdec ! audioresample ! autoaudiosink

I get the same error if I only change one of the two caps:es and keep the other one as ANY.
What have I missed? Do I need to register my new type in some way, or what could be the problem?

Markus