[gst-devel] mov multiple audio

Marco Ballesio gibrovacco at gmail.com
Fri May 21 09:12:01 CEST 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Ivan Zoli <ivan.z at tiscali.it> wrote:
> 2010/5/20 ivan zoli <ivan_zoli at fastwebnet.it>:
> It works mean that with any player it is possible to enter into the
> specific player audio menu and select the audio track I wan to listen.
> By default it is played the audio track #1, the one connected to pad audio_0
> in the gstreamer muxer plugin.
>
> What I have now is a donwmix of the two audio tracks, but
> by further analysis seems that QT can't handle a multiple
> audio .mov file. I've installed Perian, open the avi file
> with QT+Perian and save the file in .mov. Then if I disable
> Perian I'm not able to play back the video with QT.
> With Perian I can open the produced .mov and select the audio
> track I want to hear.

So I guess that Perian is handling multiple channels by mixing them,
even though I don't exactly know how multi-language channels are
handled inside ffmux_mov and if any particular atom in mp4 must
declare they must not be fixed.

> In the 2nd audio track, for tell the truth, I put some data
> that I use for sync with other software. It will be perfect
> if the muxer (and the demuxer too) can let me add custom
> data to the file.

For a less annoying effect you can use the subtitles channel (aka
"text streams" for qt file format). With GStreamer, you can write the
extra infos as text in an external file, use the subparse element and
mux the data together with the audio/video streams in the final clip.
You application will then need to parse the subtitles to get back the
needed metadata. Unfortunately, it looks like very few muxers are
handling subtitles so far (e.g. Matroska).

To avoid displaying weird infos while playing the movie, you can set
the language in the subtitles file to an exotic value from
http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/php/code_list.php (e.g.
Klingon).

Regards