[gst-devel] Example of sending vorbis audio and theora video through RTP without RTSP

Miguel Telleria de Esteban miguel at mtelleria.com
Fri May 21 17:21:50 CEST 2010

Dear all,

Some months ago I started developping an example to send vorbis audio
and theora video through RTP in a "standalone" form, without RTSP or
any other session control.

I finally succeeded (with the valuable help of #gstreamer IRC channel)
and you can find the implementation here:

http://www.ctr.unican.es/asignaturas/dec/Doc/ogg_audio_video_rtp_sender_receiver.tar.gz

I would propose to have it added to the test directory of RTP.

The main difficulty to overcome was that Vorbis and Theora receivers
need an initial content-depent information which is not available in
the RTP incoming payload.  Without that information the receivers
cannot decode the stream.

NOTE:  This happens with some other formats as well such has H.264
       according to what I was informed in the IRC channel.

The information is the "configuration" GstStructure which consists in a
long base64 blob.  This information is typically sent via a previous
server protocol such RTSP.

However I stubbornly decided not to use any RTSP or HTTP server at all.

The solution I came up with is dumping the information to a file that
could be copied by other means to the client.  So in order to use my
demo program you need to:

1.  Start the sender in order to obtain the audio_caps and video_caps
    file.

2.  Pass the audio_cpas and video_caps by other means (e.g. SSH).

3.  Start the client providing the audio_caps and video_caps files.

Since all I wanted to do was a proof of concept this solution satisfied
me for my needs.

I hope this will help other Gstreamer beginners and of course I am open
to suggestions on how to make the same task in a more easy way.

Regards,

	Miguel Telleria

--

      (O-O)