[gst-devel] Video 3D support

bparker cbparker at gmail.com
Mon May 24 01:51:27 CEST 2010

Yes, those would be the input formats, but what output formats will
there be? There are many different ways to output 3D streams.

Attached is a list from the windows "Stereoscopic Player" program
(which is also bundled with nvidia glasses/zalman monitors and others)
that shows what output formats it supports. This and the DepthQ player
seem to be the most featureful and up to date programs that play back
3D videos.

If you can't see the image, here is a shorter list of its output formats:

Source (Plays back unaltered, for spanned dual projector or new model 3DTV)
Monoscopic (Shows left or right eye of stereo stream only)
Dual Screen Output
NVIDIA Stereo Driver (3D Vision)
StereoBright™
Quad Buffered OpenGL (hardware page-flipping)
Sharp 3D Display
3D Enabled DLP-TV (uses checkerboard format)
iZ3D Monitor
Tridelity SL Series 3D Displays
SIS Attachment 4
Side By Side
Over/Under
Row Interlaced
Column Interlaced
True Anaglyph Red - Blue
True Anaglyph Red - Green
Gray Anaglyph Red - Cyan
Gray Anaglyph Yellow - Blue
Gray Anaglyph Green - Magenta
Half Color Anaglyph Red - Cyan
Half Color Anaglyph Yellow - Blue
Half Color Anaglyph Green - Magenta
Color Anaglyph Red - Cyan
Color Anaglyph Yellow - Blue
Color Anaglyph Green - Magenta
Optimized Anaglyph Red - Cyan
Optimized Anaglyph Yellow - Blue
Optimized Anaglyph Green - Magenta

Dual projector setup (with polarized filters) or late-model LED 3DTV's
(Samsung, Panasonic) do not require any special output method from
gstreamer to view 3D, but:

In order to have mainstream adoption of 3D playback with gstreamer, in
my opinion, these are the most widely used output methods that need to
be supported:

Unaltered (like with the new LED 3DTV's, could also support automatic
switching to 3D mode if using HDMI 1.4)
Quad-Buffered OpenGL (supported on professional cards like Nvidia Quadro)
Nvidia 3D Vision
Horizontal Interlacing (Zalman monitor)
3D DLP TV (checkerboard)
Anaglyph

Also to support Autostereoscopic displays (lenticular or parallax
barrier), a multi-view output method would be required.
For example with lenticular displays, typically you output 8 or 9
different camera angles, and for parallax, a lot of times you use a
custom 3x3 grid made from a stereo stream to enable the multiple
viewing angles.

If you have any questions I would be glad to help.

-bp

2010/05/23 19:00 "Martin Bisson" <martin.bisson at gmail.com>:

bparker wrote:

> What output formats are you planning to support? What I would love to
> see is m...

For 3D streams, I plan to support side-by-side, top-bottom and
horizontal interlaced.  Dave mentioned memory consecutive, which would
be the same thing as top-bottom for non-planar formats.  I guess I could
add it for planar formats, if needed...

I also plan to add support for red/cyan and red/green image types.

Mart