[gst-devel] Example of sending vorbis audio and theora video through RTP without RTSP

Marco Ballesio gibrovacco at gmail.com
Thu May 27 08:34:22 CEST 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 9:29 AM, Marco Ballesio <gibrovacco at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 6:21 PM, Miguel Telleria de Esteban
> <miguel at mtelleria.com> wrote:
>>
>> NOTE:  This happens with some other formats as well such has H.264
>>       according to what I was informed in the IRC channel.
>
> These information can usually be carried over a standard RTP stream,
> it is the (in)famous distinction made between in-band and out-band
> so-called "codec-data" in GStreamer that makes the things a little
> messy.
>
> For x264enc you should overcome this by using byte-stream=true but,
> basically, if the encoder does not support the distinction you must
> hack it or rely on a signalling/control protocol to get your
> application working.

thinking again about this.. if an encoder always sends the codec-data
in the caps it should be easy to modify all the payloaders and add
them an option to convert it from outband to inband so to make any
encoder working in absence of a signalling/control protocol. Has
anybody already worked at something like this?

Regards