[gst-devel] maximum no. of video streams possible

Marco Ballesio gibrovacco at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 12:04:55 CET 2010

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 12:14 PM, Parveen Kumar Jain <parveen.jain at one97.net
> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>   I am using Gstreamer for one of my bulk call application.In this, I
> create a session using sip and then stream the given video files to the
> remote machine.
>  Now I am trying to scale up the application upto maximum possible on a
> Quad Code Machine.I have the video file in 3GPP format(video stream - H263
> and Audio stream -AMR).I am trans-coding only the audio part and streaming
> it in PCMA format.Is anyone can give any idea what is maximum no. of calls
> possible in this scenario ?

it's not easy to give an answer, as it depends on many things. For instance,
it depends on the available network bandwidth, if you're planning to always
stream from file or from a capture source (for intance, from a webcam) or,
in the latter case, whether you're using hw codecs or not.

Your system memory bandwidth, the swapping speed, whether you're running
other processes in the background (or not) are also likely to affect
performances within your system.

The best thing you can do to understand more is a benchmark: write a simple
application launching a given number of parallel streamer and see for which
number(s) the system does not let you to scale up amymore: that will be your
limit. At that point you can examine the debug output and run diagnostic
tools such as top, oprofile, ltt, watch /proc/process_id/status (where pid
is the id of your app), etc.

>   Apart from Quad core, machine has around 4 GB of RAM available.Is
> increasing the RAM can have give any better throughput ?

Yes, if memory size will become a bottleneck in your benchmarks.

Regards