[gst-devel] Regarding GStreamer usage for multiple sessions

Marco Ballesio gibrovacco at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 17:23:43 CET 2010

Hi,

On 11/18/10, shibin k <shibin00 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    The problem is that we may need to scale our applications to support
> thousands of subscribers simultaneously. i.e, 1000s of subscribers will try
> to download different video files and feed to the gstreamer framework for
> decoding/parsing of these files. So if I need the same kind of pipeline that
> will just decode one video format and do something for all these video
> files, then do I need to create separate pipelines for all these files.
>
>     Our scenario is that we may need to support decoding/parsing of these
> thousands of files (Or even more) simultaneously and if we need to create
> one pipeline per file, we'll end up creating a huge number of threads (one
> per pipeline) which will not be feasible.

do you mean that your hardware/OS can't scale up to thousands of
threads or processes? If it's the case, maybe you need to get a 21st
century system (or later 20th) ;) .

> Please let me know whether this
> kind of scenario can be supported using gstreamer and if yes, plz suggest me
> the best way to achieve this.

if you don't need to transcode on-the-fly (that is, you're fine with
the codecs the original file contains) the overhead generated from the
pipeline should be minimal, so I'd suggest you to definitely go that
way. If you want to transcode, you can just pre-process the files as
soon as you get them so to always get consistent codecs. In case you
really want to transcode on the fly, be prepared and get a really
powerful system (and lightspeed codecs as well).

Regards