[gst-devel] Timestamping problem with gdppay element

4ernov 4ernov at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 13:43:53 CET 2010

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 12:58 PM, 4ernov <4ernov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ..snip..
>

> >> have you ruled out the possibility to use native X facilities for
> >> this? For instance, you could use the "display" property of the second
> >> xvimagesink to perform the rendering on a different server, or the
> >> "device" one if you actually are on the same device
> >>
> >> note: on some systems it requires to enable tcp connections for the X server.
> >
> > Yes, I tried to set "display" property but with no success. Don't
> > actually know whether tcp connections are enabled on my X server, will
> > try it and "device" property, too, thank you.
>
> on Ubuntu, give a look at /etc/gdm/gdm.schemas and set
> "security/DisallowTCP" to "false".
>
> restart your X server and then write from a terminal where the DISPLAY
> variable is properly set:
>
> xhost +
>
> note that the things of above allow access to your X server from any
> devices in the network (an beyond) so it should really be something to
> use only for debug purposes. For stricter security, check the
> documentation about xhost and gdm.

Yes, thank you for detailed instruction, tcp connections were disabled
really (X was started with -nolisten tcp option), I changed kdm
settings (I use Kubuntu) and restarted. Everything's right, X without
-nolisten tcp, also executed 'xhost +' on each display but still no
success in term of GStreamer playing. Here's the pipeline:

gst-launch filesrc location=/home/alex/test.mp4 ! decodebin !
ffmpegcolorspace ! tee name=dist ! queue ! xvimagesink display=":1"
dist. ! queue ! xvimagesink display=":2"

And the output is:

Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
X Error of failed request:  BadShmSeg (invalid shared segment parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  135 (XVideo)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  19 ()
  Segment id in failed request:  0x3e
  Serial number of failed request:  40

X error can also be

X Error of failed request:  BadShmSeg (invalid shared segment parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  130 (MIT-SHM)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  3 (X_ShmPutImage)
  Segment id in failed request:  0x200003
  Serial number of failed request:  29

if I use ximagesink instead of xvimagesink. I should say, everything
plays just fine if I use one xvimagesink element with display set
(video is really playing on another server without problems) or if
both these elements are with the same display option. But when I set
them different displays it goes to error.

> > By the way, setting async option to "true" as you suggested really
> > works, but as expected it makes syncronization lost. "max-lateness"
> > doesn't make any sense (tried from little intervals e.g. 200 to bigger
> > ones (15000000) with no success.
> >

> the max-lateness option is in ns, so you've basically set the delay to
> 200ms. What if you try something more substantial, let's say more than
> one second?
>
> (not that I'm saying this is the best way to proceed, but I'm just curious).

No problem) I also tried 2 and 20 secs (2000000000 and 20000000000
values) but the result is still the same. I think the problem is with
some fluctuations the first moments after connection. Can I avoid
these 'bad' buffers somehow? Or the stream is just out of time and
already unrecoverable?