[gst-devel] How to create a video recording buffer from a live broadcast and read from it at the same time

Marco Ballesio gibrovacco at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 12:39:37 CET 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Zelalem Sintayehu
<zelalems at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi I want to create a program using gstreamer that when activated starts to
> record a live broadcast and when requested starts to deliver what is being
> recorded from the beginning of the record while keeping on recording on the
> other end (the live broadcast). At some point I want to ignore recording and
> go live. I hope gstreamer could be used to do this. Basically my problem is
> to create a buffer of a file that I can read and write into it at the same
> time.  Please advice me how I can do this.

Imo there are many ways for achieving this, some of which being easy,
other more difficult. The freedom you'll have in your design depends
on some variables:

- You'll anyway have to use a signalling protocol (e.g. RTSP, SIP,
XMPP, etc..) to make it working, so you'll have to carefully pick the
one which better suits your requirements (e.g. RTSP is pretty well
supported from GStreamer from both sides, for SIP or XMPP I suggest
you to give a look to the telepathy framework).

- Are you planning to make it compatible with standard clients? If
yes, which protocols do they use? If not, are you planning to write
the client application as well?

- Do you have resource constraints (network bandwidth, CPU, disk, memory)?

- Is it possible that multiple clients will connect to the same server?

If you can clarify the points of above it would be possible to give
you, in turn, an appropriate answer.

Regards